I make this bread at least two times a week -- we love it for sandwiches and toast!
These directions are for use with a stand mixer with a dough hook, but you can also make it by hand!
1. In the mixing bowl place:
3 cups whole wheat flour (I prefer white whole wheat)
1/4 cup sucanat or honey
2 tsp. yeast
1 1/2 tsp. salt (I prefer unrefined salt)
Mix briefly to distribute yeast throughout the flour.
2. Melt 2 Tbsp. coconut oil or butter in 1 1/2 cups very warm water.
3. When coconut oil/butter is melted pour into mixing bowl and turn mixer on to "low"
4. Add 1 egg and continue to mix -- dough will be very sticky.
5. Add flour 1/4-1/2 cup at a time until dough forms a ball and clings to the dough hook and is only slightly sticky.
6. Allow mixer to continue kneading the dough for 5-8 minutes.
7. Remove dough from hook and remove bowl from mixer, cover dough and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour) -- I usually stick it in my oven with the light on.
8. Punch down dough, divide into two pieces and form each piece into a loaf; place in loaf pans. Let dough rise until double in size (about 1-3 hours depending on the temperature). I again let my dough rise in the oven with the light on -- I do not cover my loaves.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. (I do not preheat my oven, just turn it on with my risen dough inside and set the timer)
10. Remove from oven and cool!
I hope you enjoy this easy homemade bread!