Thursday, July 21, 2011

Book Review: Feminine Appeal

I recently finished reading Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney and I loved it!  It was easy to read -- she writes in a very conversational style -- and I was able to finish it in just a week, reading for 20 minutes before bed.  While the reading was easy, I was challenged often in my journey as a wife and mother...challenged to consciously think about every-day happenings as specific ways to minister to my husband and children.  

I need to take the time to REALLY kiss my husband each morning before he heads off to work  I need to set aside my to-do list and spend time with my kids when THEY need it -- snuggle on the couch, play Pass the Pigs, roll the ball back and forth, sing, draw Bob & Larry over and over and over again.

I found especially encouraging in the chapter about "working at home".  In our society, even in lots of Christian circles, the expectation is the mom will work outside the home, at least part-time.  Carolyn reminds us that working at home is biblical -- actually command and that going against this command (in most cases) is a sin.  I'm convinced that if we can make it work financially then any family can make it work for one parent to work at home.  I know that there are certain situations where this is not possible (single parent families, etc).  There is also a family that we are good friends with that the dad stays home (due to health reasons) and the mom works full-time.  But most families I see with both parents working don't NEED to -- lifestyle changes (even drastic ones) may need to be made, but I think my kids and husband are worth it!

Be prepared to be challenged and encouraged as you read Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney!

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed looking around your site today. It seems that we have a lot in common! I will definitely have to check out this book! It sounds like something I need!

    ReplyDelete