Monday, July 11, 2011

Yummy Treat!

It's been HOT here...and HUMID!  I needed to make a dessert to take to church on Sunday and I wanted something cold, actually FROZEN.  I got an idea and tested it on my family first to see how it would work.

And it worked!  Amazing, real food, fudgesicles!
Here is the recipe...I got it from Laura at Heavenly Homemakers.  
Here is how I did it:

Creamy Chocolate Pudding
2 1/2 cups milk
3 eggs
2/3 cup sucanat
1/4 cup cocoa powder
4 T. arrowroot powder
1/4 t. sea salt
3 T. butter
1 t. vanilla
In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, eggs, sucanat, cocoa, arrowroot powder and salt.  Cook over medium heat, stirring VERY OFTEN until pudding begins to thicken.  Remove immediately from the heat, and continue to stir until pudding is creamy.   Add butter and vanilla and continue to stir until mixed.  Pour into popsicle molds (or I used small plastic cups and plastic spoons for the sticks) and freeze until solid.  Remove from freezer for a few minutes, just until you can get it out of the mold...Enjoy!

Since that worked so well, I decided to try it in a pan as a frozen dessert function at church.  I made a double batch of chocolate pudding and poured it over an Oreo cookies crust and sprinkled more crushed Oreos on top of the pudding.  Then froze solid.  This would also be great topped with whipped cream (or Cool Whip), which I had planned on doing but forgot to buy the Cool Whip!
    
** I know Oreos and Cool Whip are not real foods and I don't buy them very often but I didn't have the time to make the whole thing from scratch...sometimes we compromise on our real food diet :-) 
     
**Check out Heavenly Homemakers!  It is one of my favorite blogs and I read it almost every day!




No comments:

Post a Comment