Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pita Bread

I'm usually not super on-top of things when it comes to day-to-day stuff...like keeping up with the bread baking.  Some mornings I realize that we don't have enough bread for lunch AND that I don't have enough time to make a batch before lunch.  This recipe comes in really handy then, and when you want pita bread, and when you want flat bread, and when you want individual pizzas...it also travels really well!

Pita Bread
3+ cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sucanat or honey
2 tsp yeast
2 Tbsp olive oil

Mix up the dough like you would for any bread dough -- I use my Kitchen Aid Mixer!  Let it knead for a long time (8-10 minutes).
Cover and place in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour.
Punch down and divide into 8-10 balls.
Let rest for 10 minutes (sometimes I skip this step, if I'm in a hurry!)

Roll out into circles about 1/4 inch think.  I usually roll all of them out while the oven is preheating to 400 degrees -- preheat your baking stone too. 

 Then I bake then for 3-5 mintues or until nice and puffy.  I usually start by baking the first ones I rolled out...this seems to give then just enough rest time so that they puff up nicely.

If you want flat bread or pizza crust, just don't bake them quite as long -- they will still be fully baked, just not puffed!  Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.

So fun and easy and yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment