Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Spiced Slice Cookies

My husband was playing a concert at Crosy's Music in the Park -- the kiddos and I stayed home b/c it would have been a late night :-( -- But I wanted to send cookies with Tony for him and band members for the ride home.  I had already made Breakfast Cookies but wanted another option too.  I found a recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook that looked like fun, adapted it a bit and tried it.  It was a hit!

Here is my version (adapted to be a bit healthier):

Spiced Almond Cookies
Beat together until creamed:
     1/3 c. coconut oil
     1/2 c. butter
Add:
     1 c. sucanat
     1 tsp cinnamon
     1/2 tsp baking soda
     1/4 tsp nutmeg
     1/4 tsp cloves or allspice
Beat well and add:
     1 egg
     1/2 tsp vanilla
Mix well and add:
     2 1/4 - 2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
     1/2 c. sliced almonds
Mix until well combined.  Form into 2 logs; chill; cut into 1/4 inch slices.  Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes.  Cool 1 minute on baking sheet. transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.  These would also work fine as drop cookies!


So easy and a great alternative to chocolate chip...a bit more "grown-up"!

No comments:

Post a Comment