Thursday, November 17, 2011

Recipe Remake -- Chicken Wild Rice Soup


I love soup...especially as the weather turns cold.  But my wonderful husband only barely tolerates soup -- if you can add enough crackers so that it is more mush than soup...then he'll eat it.  Finally, we have found a soup that we both like!

Some wonderful friends make this great chicken wild rice soup that we first tried at a church potluck last winter.  So as the weather started to cool, I asked her for the recipe...it included a box of instant seasoned long grain and wild rice mix.  Since I try to only cook with real food (AKA no boxed mixes) I had to do a bit of tweaking to make this (and I doubled the recipe so it makes A LOT), but it was totally worth it!  It is our new favorite meal!

Chicken Wild Rice Soup
1. In a large saucepan cook 1 1/2 c. (dry ) wild rice (or a mixture of wild rice and brown rice)
** You can probably add the uncooked rice to your crock pot at a later time with the extra water needed to make the rice and it should work...I just haven't tried it this way yet.
2. Turn your crock pot on "high". Melt 6 tbsp butter in the bottom of your crock pot.  Once melted, stir in 2/3 c. whole wheat flour to make a roux.
3. Add 6 c. homemade chicken stock (a great tutorial here)
4. Add 3-4 lbs cooked chicken, broken into bite sized pieces.
5. Add spices:
      1-2 tsp salt
      1 tsp black pepper
      1 tsp onion powder
      1 tsp garlic powder
      2 tsp dried parsley
6. Add cooked rice (or uncooked rice plus extra water/chicken stock)
7. Add 1-2 lbs carrots cut into bite sized pieces
8. Add 2 pints half-and-half or cream
9. Turn crock pot to "low" and simmer all day (or until ready to eat).

This recipe makes enough for us for 4 meals -- it freezes well and reheats quickly!  So a little extra work one time is definitely worth the 3 meals in the freezer!  I usually cook a whole chicken in my crock pot and use it to make broth one day.  Then the next day I take the cooked chicken off the bones and use the chicken/broth to make this soup.

Sorry there is no picture...I was going to take one today, but I'm out of soup in the freezer!  Time to make another batch!


Visit thecsiproject.com

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so yummy! I love rice in soups . . . I am going to have to try this! Thanks for linking up to the CSI Project!
    Camille
    www.SixSistersStuff.com
    PS We have a link party every Saturday and we would love to have you come share this!

    ReplyDelete