Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Squash, Squash and More Squash

I must have a blinking sign over my head that says, "Give me squash!"...We don't even like squash, as squash, I just like to bake with it -- breads, muffins, pancakes, etc.
Image Credit

Our container garden that we planted this past summer didn't do too well -- I think it was the super bright, hot sunshine and the fact that we couldn't keep the containers wet enough.  I was hoping for some zucchini and some pumpkin to freeze for baking this winter.  We got a total of three small zucchini and one tiny pumpkin (and about ten jack-be-little pumpkins for decorating fun).  However, my freezer is busting at the seams with squash and zucchini!  Earlier this summer we were given three HUGE zucchini and several medium sized ones -- over twenty cups of pureed zucchini in the freezer!  Early this fall I was going to buy two large pumpkins for $4 (a great deal).  All I had was a five dollar bill, so the pumpkin guy threw in a small pumpkin and two acorn squash.  Friends had a bumper crop of acorn squash and sent three home with us one evening.  We stopped at a garage sale Saturday afternoon and got some great deals on shoes, an Easter dress and a pair of jeans for Ruthie, a fleece for Asher, an ultrasonic humidifier (for winter colds) and tune-up stuff for Tony's bike...and yep, you guessed it -- the garage sale lady sent us home with two more squash!

Today I decided that I just needed to stop looking at all these squash and just deal with them, so I baked up the last three squash and one of the big pumpkins.  I was thinking I was doing pretty good -- just one more pumpkin to cook up...and then Tony walked in the door, home from work, with THREE MORE SQUASH!

Thank you God for all this squash!  I don't know why we need it all (maybe we're deficient in vitamin A or beta carotene or ?) or maybe we're just supposed to bless others with hearty squash pancakes all winter -- they were big hit with all the kids in the nursery on Sunday!

Pumpkin (Squash) Pancakes
Mix together:
1 c. pureed pumpkin (or squash)
2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
Add:
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1 tsp vanilla
Mix well and add:
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp sucanat
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Fry on a greased skillet.  This makes thick and hearty pancakes for 3-4 people.  You can also thin the batter with additional milk and fry in small amounts for a soft "cracker" -- this is what the kids had in the nursery that was so popular.

Anyone have a good recipe using squash (or pumpkin or zucchini)?


No comments:

Post a Comment