Thursday, March 8, 2012

Creamy Garlic Alfredo Sauce

I'm always on the lookout for an alternative to tomato sauce -- for pizza or pasta or ???  Since we found out Tony is sensitive to foods from the nightshade family (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, etc), I keep looking for something else to top pizza and pasta.  I've tried several alfredo sauce recipes, some with several kinds of cheese in them, and I have not been impressed :-(  I finally found one that we like, and it is easy!  It even got rave reviews from Tony -- no added salt or pepper needed!

I originally found the recipe ion recipes.com but after reading the reviews of the recipe, decided to tweak it a bit -- I'm glad I did!


Creamy Garlic Alfredo Sauce

Place 2 Tbsp olive oil in a sauce pan.  Saute 2-4 cloves of garlic, minced (we like garlic so we use four) in the olive oil.  Add 2 tsp onion powder (or 1 onion, chopped -- Ruthie won't eat it if she can see the onions).

Add 1 1/2 cups milk and bring it to a boil.

Mix together 3 Tbsp flour, 1 Tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch), 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp basil and 1/2 tsp parsley with 1 cup milk. (I place all this in a glass canning jar and shake well to mix -- this prevents lumps in your sauce).

Gradually stir into the boiling milk mixture and stir until thickened.

Add 8oz cream cheese, cubed and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated.  
Stir until cheeses are melted.

Serve over pasta, with chicken and pasta, use as a pizza topping.  
This makes enough for one 14oz box of pasta and one pizza.

Next time I see cream cheese on sale I'm going to stock up and make a bunch of sauce and freeze it for quick meals!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really yummy! I prefer garlic alfredo sauce to marinara, but the last one that I tried was too rich. Looking forward to trying it out! :-)

    thisgranolamama.blogspot.com
    liferegardless.org

    ReplyDelete