Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring Sewing and Pattern Review


As I mentioned before, I was looking forward to trying a couple new (and free) patterns for this spring.

Here are the two I tried:





Fringe Festival Knit Top Pattern






Flutter-By Tank Top Pattern







I really likes the Fringe Festival Tank Top Pattern!  So easy and fun!  At first I thought the seam down the front and back of the top would be a bit strange...but it adds nice interest to a plain colored top -- I used navy blue knit for this top:
I also did not cut the fringes into the scarf.  This top does not look very flattering on the hanger but is very flattering on!  The neckline is not too low, especially with the scarf, and the curved hem hits below the hip.  It is loose enough to hide the post-baby belly yet structured enough not to look formless.  I think this top will find lots of wear this spring and summer.  I also plan to make another one in black.  And the best part: it is a fast and easy sew!  Only took a couple of hours from start to finish!  The directions were mostly clear.  I wasn't sure about the directions to attache the scarf, so I just did it how it made sense to me and it worked just fine.  If you have done any sewing before, it will be an easy sew for you.  I used about 1 1/4 yards; so at $1/yard and a couple hours time, I think I got a pretty good deal!

I looks nice and polished with khakis, yet is still very comfortable!
I don't have a picture of what I make from the Flutter-By Tank pattern because I didn't finish it...I started it and got most of it sewn together and realized that it was not going to fit as pictured.  This picture looks like it will be a long-ish tank -- that the ruffle would start at mid to low hip.  This is not the case -- the ruffle starts at the natural waist.  So if you are very slim or want to try the current peplum trend, this pattern would be a good one as-is.  However, this was not what I was looking for.  The pattern also is much more fitted that the Festival Fringe pattern, so I would choose to make a different (larger) size.

I still like the idea of the Flutter-By Tank, but I would make some modifications to the pattern before making it again -- lengthen and  make a larger size.  It is sized for use with knits, but I have a cotton woven fabric that I have had for a long time that I want to do something with but haven't found a pattern I've wanted to try with it...this pattern, modified may be the one.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it before summer!

Do you like sewing clothing for yourself?


No comments:

Post a Comment