Monday, July 1, 2013

Beyond Project 333...Creating a Year-Round Capsule Wardrobe

As I enter another season (summer is finally here!), I realize that many of my summer clothes were not worn last summer (because I was pregnant with Hannah).  While they now fit (yeah!) there are not very many of them because as any mom of young children knows, clothes must work hard and therefore don't last forever!  By the end of the summer, some tanks and T's always need to be replaced...and this is OK because they were well used.  I've also changed a bit how I dress...I want to look nicer than a random T-shirt and capris each day...but I still want to be comfortable.





I wrote a while ago about Project 333.  And I still like the concept of it -- simplifying!  But after reading these two e-books: Embracing Beauty and The No Brainer Wardrobe, I've changed my focus a bit.

I want to really love every piece of clothing I own.  I want all my clothes to be able to work together (color coordinate).  I want to have clothes that will be appropriate for a variety of occasions -- cleaning/cooking/diapers, errands, date night, wedding/funeral, church, etc.  I want my closet to remain simple but not to be stuck on a number.  And finally, I want my closet to work from season to season and many/most pieces to overlap -- changing seasons of weather (this is Minnesota) and changing seasons of motherhood (pregnancy and nursing).  

It's quite the challenge I have given myself, but I think I'm beginning to find focus and options...and slowly, over time, my wardrobe will become what I want it to be.

Here is my capsule wardrobe Pintrest board.  (I use Pintrest for myself...to save ideas and think in pictures, not to inspire others or gain a following.)  I've decided to focus my wardrobe on black, white and denim.  I want to add color by using deep, rich colors -- these show wear and stains less easily and transition from season to season and event to event more easily and coordinate well with each other.

What do you think?  Is your wardrobe a cohesive unit or is it a mish-mash of articles?  Any tips or suggestions for me as I continue on this journey?

Linking to Modest Monday and Embracing Beauty.

2 comments:

  1. I've been working to make my wardrobe coordinate/work together better and I am finally getting there! I've seen several ideas on how to do this, but the one I especially like says to choose at least 2 neutral colors for the foundation of your wardrobe (mine are black, grey, and camel/cognac) and then choose 2-3 colors for other pieces and everything should work together well. Audrey at the blog Putting Me Together has some nice posts on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips Carly! I'll have to check out that other blog!

    ReplyDelete