Monday, August 19, 2013

Aloe Vera...Great for Your Medicine Cabinet and Your Beauty Routine

I like simple.  I like natural.  I  like multipurpose...and when they all come together, even better!  This summer I've discovered two new uses for the wonderful aloe vera plant!
Image Source
Aloe Vera is a succluant-type plant that is originally from Africa but is easily found for sale in nurseries and even many discount stores as a house plant.  It is easy to care for and multiplies by sending out shoots.  Thus it can be divided and the blessing shared (anyone want an aloe plant...).
One of the leaves can be broken off to easily extract the "juice" to use for all your natural remedies, but it is also inexpensive (and usually easier) to keep a bottle on hand.

I've known that aloe vera is good for skin irritation, rashes and burns.  So, I've been keeping a bottle in the fridge (as recommended by Rachel Weaver, Master Herbalist in her book Be Your Own "Doctor") to deal with those quickly and easily.

Earlier this summer I saw this tip about mixing equal parts aloe vera and almond oil for a super simple moisturizer.  I tried it and it works great...in the summer straight aloe vera has been working great too, I'll need more moisture once the cold sets in so I'll add back in the oil this winter.

I've also been looking for a natural conditioner for my hair...I need a bit of something to help with the tangles but not too much to weigh my hair down and make it greasy. I've used up the one I had and was again looking for a more natural option.  I decided to try aloe vera as a leave-in conditioner and it works great!  I aids in the initial brushing and leaves my hair soft and shiny but not a bit greasy!

You can also drink aloe juice.  It is said to help digestion as well as muscle and joint function.  I bought this aloe juice from Vitacost because it is all natural and with only natural additives.  While I don't intend to drink it as a supplement, I like that it can be!  Then I know that it is safe to be absorbed through the skin.  If you are a new Vitacost cumstmer, you can use this Vitacost referral link
to take $10 off your first order of $30 or more!  (If you use this link, we also get $10 off an order of $30 or more...thanks!)  We order from Vitacost often...B-complex vitamins, fish oil, Biokleen laundry detergent, comfry salve, homeopathics, shampoo.  Often they have prices as good as or better than Amazon...I usually check both before ordering.  The shipping is also super fast and I usually get free shipping depending on their current promotion.

What is your favorite natural, multipurpose item?

Linking to :
Modest Monday at the Modest Mom 
Natural Living Monday at Modern Alternative Health

No comments:

Post a Comment