Sunday, December 15, 2013

Garlic, Nature's Antibiotic

image source
 "Garlic is one of the most valuable foods on this planet.  It has been used since biblical times and is mentioned in the literature of the ancient Hebrews, Greeks, Babylonians, Romans and Egyptians."
                  ~ Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 5th edition, by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC

Ah, I love garlic!  It is easy to get and easy to use.  It is my go-to antibiotic, antifugal, antiviral.


The active ingredient of garlic is the amino acid allicin.  When the cells of a garlic bulb are crushed (such as when you use a garlic press) the amino acid comes into contact with the enzyme allinase and sulfenic acid is formed.  Sulfenic acid is very unstable and breaks down quickly into a compound called allicin, which is a strong antibiotic!  Because allicin takes some time to form, it is best to finely chop, grate or press garlic and leave it to sit for at least 15 minutes before eating it so more allicin has a chance to form.

Eating a clove of raw garlic four times a day has quickly cleared up many illness and infections in my husband and I.  Whenever we feel something "coming on" we begin our garlic protocol.  I cleared up a major sinus infection and influenza in myself in about 48 hours last winter.  I would have cleared it faster had I started my garlic protocol when I first felt the sniffles coming.  I didn't start until my fever was 102 and it still cleared within two days!

Eating raw garlic my seem impossible but here is how we do it:
1. Use the garlic press to mince 1 medium to large clove of garlic onto a plate.
2. Make a piece (or two) of toast.
3. Spread toast liberally with butter and garlic.
4. Eat and enjoy!

Another way that garlic may be taken raw is to press one clove of garlic onto a spoon.  Let sit for 15 minutes.  Drizzle raw honey over the garlic.  Swallow the spoonful without chewing.  Tony cannot stand this method but enjoys the toast.  I find this method works quite well for me.

Garlic is a very strong flavor and often children will not want to eat it raw.  Here is what I do for Hannah and she loves it:
1. Press one clove of raw garlic and let sit 15 minutes.
2. Spread a piece of bread liberally with butter.
3. Spread the garlic on top of the butter.
4. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
5. Cook in the toaster oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.  
6. Cool and cut into bite sized pieces.
7. Serve with Northwoods Dressing for dipping.

I can sneak garlic into a few recipes but even the garlic cheese bread is too much for Ruthie and Asher, so I make a garlic salve for use on them:
1. In a small (4 oz) glass jar, press three to five cloves raw garlic.  Let sit 15 minutes.
2. Drizzle oil over garlic (melted coconut oil, sweet almond oil, olive oil, etc) until garlic is just covered.
3. You can strain the pieces of garlic out of the oil with cheese cloth or a find mesh strainer but I usually just dip my fingers in the oil and rub it onto their skin making sure to remove any pieces of garlic as I go.
4. Spread garlic salve over chest and back, up neck, around outside of the ears and on the soles of the feet.  Or anywhere else there is an infection.

Use garlic salve four or more times a day.  If the skin is reacting to the garlic salve, dilute with more oil or use only on the bottoms of the feet.

I like simple and easy...and you can't get much easier or more simple than garlic!  
For more ways to use garlic check out the book Be Your Own "Doctor" by Rachel Weaver, M.H.

What is your favorite simple natural remedy?

Disclaimer: Even though I am an RN turned Naturally Minded Mom, this is not to be taken as professional medical advice.  I am just sharing what I learned and what we use for our family.  You are responsible to do your own research and make educated decisions for your family.


linking to Modest Monday at the Modest Mom Blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment