Saturday, February 1, 2014

Simple Kitchen Tip: Manage Your Recipes

With the invention of the internet has come an overwhelming assortment of new recipes...for everything!  Good ol' home cookin', gluten free, sugar free, GAPS friendly; all this is great if you have special dietary need or if you are looking for a new recipe for, say squash.  But it can also be a bit overwhelming...too many choices...will my family like it? 

I have found something that works for me and I'd like to share it with you: manage your recipes, simply!

I need a recipe for almost everything I make; I have very few recipes memorized and even those I usually double check to make sure I haven't forgotten something because with little people around I often get interrupted and can easily forget where I am in a recipe or what I've added.

So for recipes that I make often (like weekly), I write down the basics on a piece of paper and tape it inside my cupboard door.  That way it is always easy to look at double check, without having to get out the cookbook.

 Speaking of cookbooks...I keep two.  My Better Homes and Gardens one I love because it has basic recipes for pretty much everything...how to roast a turkey, how to hard boil and egg, a few basic frostings and cakes.  Yep, when I need a basic recipe, it is my go-to.  It also has some handy charts that I refer to often...how much rice/millet/barley to how much water, and what to sub for what if I'm out of something, how to cook any veggie, how to can/freeze/preserve fruit and how long to process it in the canner.

My other cookbook is one I have made.  It only contains recipes that I love and that I reuse.  A new recipe does not get permanently put into this cookbook until it has proven itself in our daily life.  I made this cookbook out of a photo album for 4x6 pictures and 4x6 note cards...super easy and super cheap.  When I find a new recipe that I want to try, I write it on a sticky note, then I make the recipe and if it is one that we like, the sticky note goes in to my cookbook.  After I have made the recipe a few times and we still like it, then it gets written on a note card and permanently placed in my cookbook.  I really love knowing that I have a cookbook full of recipes I love and I don't have to wonder if it will work or if we will like it.
 My final recipe tip is useful for herbal remedies, bath and body care item and the like...stuff that you remake occasionally and requires special ingredients that you don't usually use in your kitchen.  I use this method for my herbal vitamin and for elderberry syrup.  Just write the recipe on a piece of paper and tape it to a container that holds all the herbs/supplies.  Always ready when you need it!

I also have a Pinterest board for recipes I see online that I'd like to try.  I am careful to only pin recipes that I think I will actually use...ones that everyone will eat and ones that use ingredients that I usually have on hand.

That is how I manage my recipes and keep my mind and my kitchen free of recipe clutter!
What do you do to manage your recipes...any new ideas for me?


Linking to Modest Monday at The Modest Mom.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your system looks SO much like mine (but yours is a tad prettier : )

    I tape recipes inside the cupboard door, I make recipe labels for my mix canisters, and I have my own cookbook (mine is a printed word document, so it's easy to edit - with food splatters here & there- rather than those pretty wipe off pages you have). I don't save recipes I want to try on Pinterest, but rather add them to my cookbook (if they turn out to be bad, they're easy to delete).

    I also like a nice recipe shelf that tucks away under the cabinets - it's a lifesaver when I've got stuff spread out all over the counter but need to see the recipe.

    Great minds think alike! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of an easy to edit Word document for my recipes...but I know I'll never get around to updating it! I'll have to get a recipe self...I'm always putting the recipe across the room so my littlest helper doesn't turn the pages or tear the book apart! Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete