Wednesday, January 14, 2015

What is a Capsule Wardrobe?...and Why You Should Make One

My typical daily outfit: jeans, neutral-ish top, add a scarf if leaving the house!
 There is TONS of information all over blogland about creating a capsule wardrobe:
* A 37 piece mini wardrobe full of really versatile pieces that you love to wear. Accessories don't count. (source)
* A 33 piece mini wardrobe.  Accessories do count. (source)
* About 10 items, that you love and are high quality.  Outerwear, accessories, and layering pieces (T-shirts/tanks) do not count. (source)

So, I'm not going to "re-invent" it all for your; I'm just going to say...try it!  Basically, get rid of everything in your closet that you don't LOVE wearing (box it up and hide it for three months).  See what is left and go from there.  Hopefully you still have some clothes to wear.  If you need to shop, only buy items you LOVE and that FIT YOUR LIFESTYLE.  

I've done this slowly, over the last year or so but finally have a closet of clothes that I love to wear!  Now, instead of looking at my closet and saying, "I have nothing to wear!" I have to ask, "what do I want to wear today?"  

My clothes are pretty casual, as I'm a SAHM with young children, and I'm OK with that.  I don't wear much for accessories at home (I love scarves but they get in the way when washing dishes and helping kids use the potty!)  Everything has to be WASHABLE!  I don't spend a lot on my clothes (no silk or cashmere or merino wool for me!) because I will probably wear it out with in a season or two.  But it is important to me to have clothes that fit well and are in good condition.

Just look at what your kids choose to wear each day...their favorites!  Next I need to clean out my kids clothes and make a plan for the next season and size...so I'm happy with how they look and they have only "favorites" to wear!

So, would you have anything left to wear if you got rid of everything you didn't LOVE?

No comments:

Post a Comment