Monday, January 12, 2015

Why I Sew

I've been sewing  more this past year and I plan to continue sewing in this new year.  Sewing doesn't make sense to some people...why pay for fabric (it's often expensive) and still have to take the time to make something!?  Everyone's reason's for sewing are different...here are mine:

1. It's fun!  I enjoy the creative process and being able to make something my own.

2. I can't find what I want for a price I am willing to pay.  Sometimes I can find something similar to what I want...but usually it is not a price I'm willing to pay!  While sewing my own might cost more than a cheap version, I know that I will be happier to spend a little more money and make something "perfect".

3. I can sew clothes for my kids the way I want them -- not too "trendy", long enough, triple re-enforced knees...and often for less than buying them (sometimes even the cheap version).

Here is my latest sewing project:
 I've wanted a sweatshirt with a lace overlay for a while, but haven't found one that I liked for a price I was willing to pay (I saw one I liked at a department store for $50...on sale!) So I used some Christmas money and ordered fabric (Fabric.com).  I'm really happy with how it turned out!  And I love the teal peeking through the blue!
Do you sew?  Why do you sew?
 
The free pattern I used is HERE.
Fabric Here and Here.
 
Linking to Modest Monday at the Modest Mom.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I might have to make me one of these as well. I am totally with you on not being able to find what I like for a price that I like. And, the creative process is what makes up my right-brain personality, haha. I love to sew. I've never had formal lessons, though, I taught myself, so my things don't always turn out, which is a bummer. But I keep on, keeping on. Thanks for sharing the pattern, too! Excited to try it out.=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep sewing Amanda! I feel like my sewing has become so much better with some practice and trial and error. I prefer to sew with a pattern since I've not had much luck without one. There are some amazing free patterns out there in blogland...and the few that I have paid for have been very worth it too! Especially when I can use them multiple time!

    ReplyDelete